Friday, January 25, 2008

Konkrete Kamping...


Every morning for the past week I have noticed about 15-20 kids sleeping in front of the Shoe Gallery here in Downtown Miami. I've seen them do it before but just overnight. These kids have been there all week. They are anticipating the release of the new Air Jordan XX3 starting at $230.00 (can you imagine the re-sell price!) dropping today, January 25th. Only 23 stores in the USA are getting 23 pairs (of course, Jordan=23...duhh), and the Shoe Gallery will be getting em'. In fact, they are the only place in the S.E. other than Atlanta that's getting them in. So after the staff members get their first picks, about 16-18 pairs will be left for those kids. That's taking a huge chance. Can you imagine sleeping there for a week and not getting anything out of it? I mean those kids must have to put up with a homeless fiend every 10 minutes. It's funny cause they have their tent set up right on the sidewalk and chairs (just like the famous Alife & Supreme campouts in NYC) with coolers and all. But where do they take a shit or shower? I dunno, but I think that whole idea is pretty lame. I first heard of campouts from Supreme in NYC. Every year since 93, they close the shop for 2 weeks to bring in their new line for the season and kids have been camping out for those drops for years, but kids in Miami are doing this!?!? I never knew kids down here were so passionate about sneakers let alone risking their lives for them! Most campouts in NYC happen in SOHO where all the dope sneaker boutiques are, but Downtown Miami is nothing like SOHO. And mind you, these kids have $230.00 dollars in their pockets for the gear. If the crackheads only knew...lol. If you look at these kids once they get their kicks/gear they look like they've accomplished something. I mean they are just sneakers right? Don't get me wrong, I'm an addict for dope kicks/gear (especially nike's) and I pay whatever it is if I like the shoe, but you'll never catch me sleeping on the streets (especially in Downtown Miami) for any kind of apparel. Not here nor in NYC. But you know what, it's just a sign of our humanity. You can hype up dog shit and if it's hyped the right way, people will give their blood for it. My main question is, are they actually going to wear those Jordans after the shit they went through to get them, let alone the price! Is it really worth the hype? Well to some it appears so! Below are some viddy's of a few previous campouts and the madness the ensues.