Friday, April 2, 2010

Monster Magnet

Monster Magnet are a New Jersey based, stoner rock band lead by Dave Wyndorf. Their sound can be compared to bands like Kyuss, Hermano, The Sword, etc. I've been a fan of them ever since I saw the video for their smash hit "Negasonic Teenage Warhead" on MTV's 120 minutes back in the early 90's, however these days I'm even more fixated on their sound than I ever was before.

After 7 studio albums, regular airplay on MTV, extensive touring and playing alongside bands such as Metallica, Soundgarden, and Rob Zombie, they've achieved cult status and became legends of the stoner rock genre.

Like every band, they've had their ups and downs, break-ups and make-ups, including a massive overdose which almost killed frontman Dave Wyndorf back in February of 2006, they have faced their demons. However, they are currently working with Austria's Napalm Records and are slated to release a new album this year. I will keep this blog up to date with any information that comes my way, in the meantime peep their website here.

It's the weekend so I leave you with this classic video, "Negasonic Teenage Warhead", which is what turned me onto these guys in the first place, maybe it will have the same effect on you if you can get past the video's oddness! Enjoy!