Thursday, June 24, 2010

Archival Thursdays: UNKLE - Psyence Fiction (1998)

Whew, I'm back from my nice, but brief hiatus. It was wonderful getting the fuck outta dodge and hitting the road. It was a great time (will post a few pics soon). Anyway, putting things back into grind mode, I bring you the continuation of my Archival Thursdays series and I'm igniting the flame with some proper DJ Shadow and James Lavelle aka UNKLE. 'Psyence Fiction' is by far my favorite release from UNKLE and is definitely one of my favorite albums of all time. Many of music's finest talents appear on this album, making it so eclectic that there's something for everyone. Names like Thom Yorke from Radiohead, Mike D. from the Beastie Boys, Richard Ashcroft from The Verve, Ian Brown from The Stone Roses as well as Badly Drawn Boy, Kool G. Rap and the lovely Alice Temple are sure to grab your attention.

Released on the fine Mo'Wax label, there are four different versions of this album, which I own all of, including the highly coveted promo box set 'The Psyence Fiction Survival Kit'. Yes I know it's a bit extreme but each version has slightly different Futura artwork and packaging and like I mentioned, its one of my favorite releases of all time. This particular copy I obtained from eBay and is the UK press limited edition hardcover gate-fold sleeve with booklet and picture inserts (see more photos).