Thursday, March 31, 2011

Archival Thursdays: Common Sense - Resurrection (1994)

Before Common, there was Common Sense. Coming live and direct from Chicago, not only did his name change but so did his style. 'Resurrection' was his second full length and was released during a time when hip-hop was still real and innovative, the album was selected as one of The Source Magazine's 100 Best Rap Albums of all time. I remember thinking how intelligent his lyrics were and how bad I wanted to hear more of his music, especially after seeing the video for "I used to love her". Then I heard the album's title track "Resurrection" and was completely blown away by the way samples were looped in that song. Conscious hip-hop the way it should be delivered...definitely a must listen.

I bought this release at the now defunct Blue Note Records in North Miami Beach back in 2000. It was old as hell but still shrink-wrapped! That's how Blue Note was, you never know what you'll find in that place. I miss it dearly.