Thursday, July 22, 2010

Archival Thursdays: System Of A Down - Toxicity (2001)

First time I heard System Of A Down was through a co-worker, and I couldn't stand to listen to their stuff for more than a minute. It was too fast and experimental. To me, it sounded like music for people with A.D.D. It was one of their first albums and their sound was definitely heavier, but years later when 'Toxicity' came out and I heard "Chop Suey" for the first time, I was immediately drawn to them. Then I started listening to the rest of the album via-online and I fell in love with their sound, which made me finally appreciate their earlier, harder releases. If I were to recommend any S.O.A.D albums to anyone, it would sure as hell be this one. I'd say start with the classic title track "Toxicity" and keep going down the line. This is definitely one the those albums one should hear at least once in their lifetime, I mean after all, it's produced by Rick Rubin!

I nabbed this release from the used bin at Yesterday & Today records here in Miami about 2 years ago.